|Dr. Nalini Arles|
Dr. Nalini Arles is currently the Professor and Chairperson of the Department of Christian Ministry Department in the United Theological College. She is a distinguished alumnus of New College, University of Edinburgh where she completed her Doctoral Degree. Dr.Nalini is presently serving as the Doctoral Dean. She also served as the Acting Registrar for the September Term. She defines herself as a strict person who stands by her convictions which have taken her to this level. Being a counsellor she is someone who identifies with people in their distressing situations. She has travelled extensively and she is enriched with the enormous experiences that she has gained from these wide exposures.
Dr.Nalini is married to renowned Missiologist Dr. Siga Arles. He is a prolific writer and scholar in the field of Missiology. At present he heads the organization Contemporary Center for Christianity. They are blessed with two children. The eldest son Naveen is a musician who is based in London at present. Recently he was invited to the House of Commons. Younger son is Sandhesh who is married to Pamila who is an American. He is working as a Financial Analyst. The family exists as an exemplary model of Christian witnessing.
Remarkable Positions Held
· She was the President of the International Council on Pastoral care and Council for a term.
· She served as the President and the Vice President of Asia Pacific Council on Pastoral Care and Counselling
· She is one of the founding members of Association of Theologically Trained Women in India. She also served as the President of the same in 1970.
· She has taught in a few of the prestigious universities all around the globe. She has had the privilege of teaching in Graduate Theological Union Berkley, Lutheran Theological seminary Minneapolis, St.Thomas University Miami. She was also associated with the Society for Inter-cultural Mission and Pastoral Work.
Contributions to the academic, eclessia and society in the year 2012-13
· Presented a paper as part of the Faculty Research Seminar in UTC entitled “The Psychology of the Terrorists” which has grabbed the attention of many.
· Led a session on the theme “Women of Yesterday and Today”.
· Handled a workshop on “Child Sexual Abuse” for CMS Hostel Wardens at Nagercoil.
· Handled a workshop for NGO leaders on women empowerment and conflict resolution models.
· She has preached in various churches in and around Bangalore.
· She was instrumental in organizing a protest at KGF against Government’s decision of dumping the Nuclear Waste of Koodankulam at KGF.
· She is also engaged in Counselling.
A Ray of Hope for those in Distress
Dr.Nalini along with her husband runs an NGO named India Ministries Fellowship. The NGO has three centres which are Boys’ Home at Thiruthanny which accommodates 45 boys, a Girls’ Home at KGF which accommodates 110 girls and a centre to take care of the children of alcoholic parents at Madhavaram, Chennai. In Madhavaram the NGO provides lunch for Senior Citizens. The organization has more than 25 staff members. They also run other institutions such as Tailoring Units, DMLT lab, a primary school and a Nursing school. The NGO has changed the destiny of hundreds of children from poor families. It aims at the holistic development of the children.There are Doctors, Dentists, IT Professionals and many others who are well settled now, who were once part of these Children’s Homes.
Dr. Nalini looks back at her life with contentment for what she has achieved so far. “Walking her talk” is her life’s motto. She believes in practicing what she believes than talking about it always. This is her constant prayer that “God grant me an alert mind till the end”. Her relentless fight for justice still continues to inspire many. She stands out as a unique personality in the theological arena with her out of the box thinking and vision.
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
E mail: email@example.com
Prepared by Rency Thomas George, BD III